Information for Medical Professionals
End of Life Choices Oregon supports physicians and healthcare professionals with education and information regarding Oregon’s Death with Dignity (DWD) law.
Following are legal requirements of ORS 127.800 to 127.995 that apply to pharmacists and some tips from our experience.
- The attending (prescribing) physician or their agent must deliver the Rx to you or mail it by USPS or a courier service. Do not accept the Rx from the patient, family member or agent of the patient.
- It is common for patients to request that the pharmacist hold the Rx until they are ready for it.
- Death With Dignity permits the patient to designate someone else to pick up the medication. Many terminally ill patients are not able to pick up their own prescriptions.
- The pharmacist must return the Pharmacy Dispensing Record to the Oregon Health Authority within 10 days of dispensing the medications.
- When you dispense the medications, you may provide our instructions to the patient or patient’s representative.
Full Text of Oregon's Death with Dignity Act
Download Oregon's Pharmacy Dispensing Record Form
We are a donor-supported organization
We are a donor supported organization (501)(c)(3) and rely on your donations to provide personal quality end-of-life service and support